GRAMMAR: infinitive clauses with impersonal it


Function:   we use it's (not) + adjective + infinitive clause when we want to use the adjective to describe an action or situation.
This means the same as using yhe gerund as a subject.
it'simportant to eat properly.=Eating properly is important.


IMPERSONAL IT

“IT” is used to replace a clause or phrase at the
the beginning of a sentences :
>When an INFINITIVE is a subject of a sentence, we usually begin the sentence with “it” and put infinitive later.
For examples:
It is easy to criticize.  =  To criticize is easy.
It is better to be early. = To be early is better.

>When a GERUND as a subject of a sentence, we usually begin the sentence with “it” and put gerund later.
For examples:
It is easy talking. = Talking is easy.
It is difficult answering your questions. = Answering your questions is difficult.

>”iT” can be used similarly when the subject of a
sentence is a clause. 

It would be possible to say:
That he has not returned is  strange.
That prices will go up is certain.
What he said yesterday is right.
What she explained two days ago is clear.
It is strange that he has not returned.
It is certain that prices will go up.
It is right What he said yesterday.
It is clear What she explained two days ago.
>”It” is also used to express TIME:
1.It is 7 o’clock.
2.It is Sunday.
3.It is August.
4.It is 2008.
5.It’s holiday.
6.It is Romadan day.
>”it” is also used to express “DISTANCE”:
1.It is 90 kms from here to Malang.
2. It is about 1000 kms from here to Jakarta.

>”it” is used to express “WEATHER”:

1.It is raining.
2.It is windy.
3.It is hot.
4.It is cold.
5.It is winter, summer. spring, autumn.
6.It is snowing.

Let’s take a look at how infinitive clauses are used after impersonal adjectives like easy, hard, necessary, unnecessary, possible, and impossible. These impersonal adjectives come along with the impersonal pronoun it:
Example:
Incorrect: I am hard to concentrate.
Correct: It is hard for me to concentrate.
Correct: It is hard (X) to concentrate.
The impersonal it doesn’t just happen in simple sentences such as in the example above; it can also begin a complement clause.A complement clause is, for example, the kind of clause that comes after a verb like make or find.
Examples:
Incorrect: This hot weather is making me hard to concentrate.
Correct: This hot weather is making it hard for me to concentrate.
Correct: This hot weather is making it hard (X) to concentrate.
Correct: I am finding it hard to concentrate.

For more about infinitive verb and infinitive clauses, keep reading below.
Background: What are infinitive clauses?
Like any verb, an infinitive denotes an action or state which involves one or more people, places, or things. For example, Lisa reads and You eat. But because the infinitive is a dependent verb–in other words, it is not the main verb in an independent clause–it often appears where there is no subject noun or pronoun expressed. In such cases, the logical subject of the infinitive verb is understood from its context.
One such case is when the subject of both verbs would be the same:
Examples:
Incorrect: I love for me to read books.
Correct: I love (X) to read books.
Another case is when a direct object after the main clause verb would be the same as the subject of the infinitive verb:
Examples:
Incorrect: I asked my dad for him to help me with my homework.
Correct: I asked my dad (X) to help me with my homework.
Another case is when the writer is making a generalization. In other words, the subject of the infinitive verb could be anyone or anything:
Examples:
Too wordy: It’s always a good idea for you to back up your computer files.
Better: It’s always a good idea (X) to back up your computer files.
In all other cases, however, there needs to be a subject before the infinitive verb.
Example:
It’s unusual for a ballet dancer to weigh two hundred and fifty pounds.
Don’t forget that the infinitive subject is preceded by the preposition for.
Examples:
Incorrect: It’s unusual (X) a ballet dancer to weigh two hundred and fifty pounds.
Correct: It’s unusual for a ballet dancer to weigh two hundred and fifty pounds.
Also don’t forget that the infinitive subject, if it is a personal pronoun, must be in the  object case (i.e., them, us, her, him, me) and not subject case (they, we, he, she, I).
Example:
Incorrect: It’s unusual for he to help me with my homework.
Correct: It’s unusual for him to help me with my homework.


Ejercicio:
Complete the responses with an infinitive clause. Use a verb and an adjective from the box.
Better   important   essential   common   good   difficultd   rest   feel  call   wake up  apologize   practice

1.    I think I broke my leg.
it's_____________________________ an ambulance.
2.    l' ve been really depressed since my divorve.
it's_____________________________ like that.

3.    I hurt ny wrist.
it's_____________________________ it for a few days.
4.    I practice a lot of English grammar.

Remenber, it's _____________________________ speaking too.
5.    I said something mean about my colleague, and he heard me.
it's_____________________________ sooner rather than later.
6.    I overslept this morning again and arrived late.
it's_____________________________ so early.


NOTA: Consulta  los links para mayor información.


Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

REPEATED AND DOUBLE COMPARATIVES

So, such, too, enough